Sunday 28 July 2013

Live From London-One Off Show *Guest Blog*

This week we have our very first guest blog written by my wonderful girlfriend during my travels abroad to visit (meet) family. I hope you enjoy and if you want to hear more from Jenni check her out here.
__________________________________________________________________________

Sun 21st July - 7pm One Off Performance
Retford Majestic Theatre - £17.50 Ticket 

Hello! I’m Jenni, Glenn’s girlfriend and I am blogging for him today whilst he’s in Ireland visiting family. I’m almost as much of a theatre person as he is, and last week I was lucky enough to be treated to a night out at the theatre as part of my birthday present.

Live from London was a show put on by West End stars in a little, out-of-the-way theatre in a little, out-of-the-way town called Retford as a fund raiser for their local Operatics Society and to help repair and maintain the gorgeous Majestic Theatre that they regularly perform in. One of the organisers/performers had grown up performing in the Operatics Society so this was a fab way to give something back to the people that gave him his start.

There were 9 performers in total, all of them currently in West End shows and their voices were really fabulous. There was a mix of group songs, duets and solo pieces from a vast array of shows-some that I knew and some that I didn’t. Despite the fact that they had only rehearsed the full show for the first time that afternoon it was slick and professional and (apart from a few technical issues) you really couldn’t tell!

There were also some performances from the Retford Operatics Society and the Mini Operatics Bunch-which surprised me with how professional they were! I groaned inwardly when they announced that the kids were going to do a song (because I am very used to wildly out of tune, semi-shouting, ear splittingly bad children’s performances) but they actually sounded AMAZING. I was looking for adults secretly hidden in the wings when they all sang together because their harmonies were spot on and they were really really good!

There were songs from so many of my favourite shows that I can’t remember them all but there were definitely some from Rent, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera (that gave me goosebumps!), Oliver, Carousel, Hairspray (which was awesome as I went to see it on my birthday), Sister Act, Jekyll and Hyde, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Spamalot, as well as a lot that I had never heard before. They finished on a medley of songs from Les Mis, culminating in an amazing rendition of ‘One Day More’ which made the hairs stand up on the back on my neck. Me and my Dad left the theatre on a massive high with all of the songs in our head for the rest of the evening.

All in all it was a fabulous birthday treat, and although I can’t recommend it to anyone as it was a one off performance, I would if I could-it was a really great night out.

If you want to read more from me then I blog regularly over at My Every Day Adventure, where I write about my life and all that happens in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment